I used some lovely yellow bell peppers that I got from my weekly organic foods delivery from Nature’s Garden Delivered. I love the stuff I get from them. This was a great use for the peppers. If you are buying them at the store, yellow ones can get quite pricey, so green peppers would do just fine. This recipe is a variation on the one found here. I used a tomatillo salsa which gave the dish a slightly different taste than regular salsa. There are so many kinds of salsa available, you can really customize the recipe to your taste preference, or if you want to get really creative, make your own salsa.
* 1 lb lean ground beef
* 1/4 cup chopped onion or regular size shallot
* 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1 cup cooked brown rice
* 4 yellow bell peppers
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
* 1 (15 -16 ounce) jar salsa
* shredded cheddar cheese
1. Combine beef, onion, seasoning mix and egg in a large bowl.
2. Add rice and mix well.
3. Cut peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membrane.
4. Spread tomatoes on the bottom of an ovenproof 12 X 9 inch baking dish.
5. Place peppers, cut side up, on top of the tomatoes.
6. Spoon beef mixture into peppers, mounding as necessary.
7. Top each pepper with salsa.
8. Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 40-45 minutes or until beef is cooked thoroughly and peppers are soft.
9. Cover each pepper with cheese and return to oven, until the cheese melts- should only take about a minute.